Do your Air Ducts Need TO BE REPLACED?
Air ducts are out of our daily view, but they perform an important job in your heating and cooling system.
The air ducts are major components of any heating, ventilating and air conditioning or HVAC system. The ducting carries air from the central air conditioner and the furnace to all the rooms in the home. Usually, the air ducts are installed in the walls, ceiling, and floor of your home.
Ductwork is usually made out of metal, but can also be made of flexible ducting, which is made of wire coil covered in a bendable, durable plastic. This is covered in a thin layer of insulation and foil.
If there is an air duct leak, you will notice certain signs. Air duct leaks should be dealt with quickly, as that means you are losing air into the wall, causing higher energy bills.
It’s important to note, if your HVAC contractor is replacing flexible ductwork with rigid metal ductwork, or if you are building a new home, they should perform calculations using Manual J and Manual D. These are standards for calculating duct size by heat loss in different size rooms, approved by the Air Conditioning Contractors of America (ACCA).
Signs of Air Duct Leakage
There are a few telltale signs that your air ducts are leaking and need to be repaired or replaced.
- Your energy bill is suddenly much higher than it should be. If your electric bill is suddenly going through the roof, but you aren’t using your air conditioner or furnace more than usual, that can be a sign that you have leaky air ducts. This may be able to be repaired. In some cases, your ductwork may need to be replaced.
- You smell mildew or mold whenever you run the air or furnace. Typically this happens if the ductwork is inadequately insulated, or if there is a leak in the air ducts. If there is a leak, it may mean that condensation is escaping through the ducts into your attic or walls. When warm air hits cool ducting, this can cause water vapor in the air to condense.
- Too much noise whenever you run hot or cool air. If the air ducts are loose, this can cause noise whenever you run the furnace or air conditioning. This usually means that the ductwork is leaky or not sealed properly.
- Inconsistent heating and cooling. If the cooling and heating seems to bring your home to a comfortable temperature predictably one day, but sometimes it doesn’t seem to work correctly, this may be a sign that the air is not being moved properly though the ventilation system. Uneven or unpredictable heating and cooling can be a sign that the air is going into the wall or attic via leaky ducts instead of into the rooms of your home.
- Your home is old, and the ducts have never been replaced. Generally, this is not an issue in newer homes, or homes using rigid ductwork. Air ducts have a life span of about 15 to 30 years, and can wear down due to the elements, corrosion, and other factors.
When Old Air Ducts Wear Out
What can you do?
Homeowners like you in San Jose, Morgan Hill, the Bay Area and other locations can turn to our team of professionals at Ventwerx. We have highly trained and experienced technicians who can perform the appropriate air duct services, such as the proper inspection, analysis and repair of leaky air ducts.
Here’s what you can expect from our trusted and highly recommended team:
- A free on-site visual inspection for all repairs and replacement services
- A thorough discussion of all the available options for your particular situation
- Effective and efficient repair and internal sealing of leaks within all air duct systems
Accredited by the Building performance Institute and awarded the Home Performance Green Certificate by EnergyStar.gov, we’re the best choice for industry quality — and for your peace of mind.